so with that being said, I ran all four of my under three minutes and thirty seconds. my first one was 3:19! now let's get one thing straight: I will not be running my marathon in under three hours and thirty minutes! I was obviously running way too fast. with each repeat I kept telling myself, okay you can run slower. . . it just wasn't happening. I think it was the fear of not making it in time. and it's not like I was all out sprinting in these 800's or anything, but my feet were certainly moving!
my legs felt awesome during the first two. as in my hamstrings weren't bugging me at all. I was surprised and quite relieved. the third time around I could feel it in my left hip flexor. the fourth time my hamstrings were starting to complain a bit.
then I had the run home. all in all I think I ran about six to six-and-a-half miles today. my hamstrings were not loving me when I got home. I took an ice bath just so I could get all the major muscles groups in one shot. some days I just don't feel like dealing with all the frozen corn bags.
* * *
I hadn't been back to that track since the early days. the days where uncertainty and a sense of untested confidence ran strong. it was during that time that I started to see myself for what I was: a runner. a girl with strong legs, a strong heart and a strong sense of what she wanted.
it was during those spring evenings that I met with them. told what I could achieve if I just put in the work now. I learned that I was able. I learned that I was strong. I learned that I was ready, though I had no real idea what lay ahead.
two weeks before my first marathon: slow down. you don't need to go fast. you've put in the work. you're ready. and he was right; I was ready.
stepping once again onto that track brought everything back. the warm faces on those warm evenings; sunlight fading, long golden light. we were all working toward the same goal, each at our own pace. there was encouragement. there was laughter. there was sweat. there was a bond that brought us together.
we are still held by that bond, even though we have not stayed in touch.
I miss my friends.
I wish I could tell you my stories, of all that I have accomplished and are setting out to do. I wish I could hear yours. I know we have all done amazing things. running was just the beginning.



3 comments:
So these yasso 800's you speak of....let me see if I've got this right. Say I wanted to run a marathon in 4 hours, I run each of my 800's in 4 minutes? I've never heard of that before, sounds like a good way to add some speed into the workouts. And just for us track dummies, how many laps equal an 800? I thought most high school tracks were 1/4 mile?
yeah, that's the theory anyway. I should've linked to the article from runners world. here it is:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-624-0,00.html
and an 800 should be two times around the track (so half a mile)
they are a good little speed workout
I've wanted to try the Yasso 800's. They look tough though. Good luck on your upcoming race!
Post a Comment