I was hoping this statement would prove true last night: I am faster than weather. seriously. it turns out that statement is false. when you try and race weather, you're sure to lose. (unless you're really fast, which I am obviously not)
the run started out nice enough. the sun was out, there was a slight wind. I was layered in tights, shirt, long sleeve tee, windbreaker, beanie, mini gloves. almost midway through the run I had to ditch the windbreaker because I was overheating. (ahh, the beauty of layers) a few blocks after my turn around, I noticed something behind me. the darkest grey sky you have ever seen. this is when the race was on. I was going to beat weather.
I don't know if anyone else out there has ever experienced this, the feeling of being totally enveloped by darkness. {I'm glad it was literal darkness--the daylight fading coupled with the ominous darkness right on my heels--not a metaphor for my life. my life is not darkness, but bright sunshine with the feeling of warmth on my cheeks.} it's a strange feeling. my mantra became, I can beat weather. I can beat weather.
I tried. I failed. the rain started to lightly fall. then the wind became chillier. back on went the windbreaker. (again, the beauty of layers) then the cold, pelting hail started. man, it got a little intense at the end. hail in the face is not a fun feeling. actually, it hurts. a lot. I had to run with my hand near my face to sheild myself. to be honest, though, I did feel quite hardcore out there. (and we all know how I like to feel hardcore, even if I'm not hardcore) after the hail came the lightning + thunder (how often does that happen in a winter storm?!). then the snow.
all in all it was an exciting run. me and weather, a fight to the end.
3.5 miles; 6th east to 6th south to 8th east
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment