Thursday, March 02, 2006

Sometimes it's a rough road to physical fitness and marathon readiness.

Every now and again I think I have a stress fracture on my left ankle. So what do I do? Crosstrain!

I recently bought a pass to Steiner Aquatics, aka the Salt Lake City Sports Complex. Sure, Steiner's doesn't have tons of equipment like a trendy gym might have. But what it lacks in equipment it gains in quality swim workouts!

I've been swimming Masters for a couple weeks now. It's like the old days -- swimming in the slow lane (we used to affectionately call it the "slacker" lane) with a guy on deck telling us what to do. Except for now it's not Jack Seninger, thank goodness! I was only going to go on Wednesdays, but now I'm swimming on Mondays as well. I think I'm going to get those quality, kick-your-butt-into-shape workouts that I need.

I'm also going to take some spin classes. And hopefully yoga and pilates if I can fit it all in. Because back in the day when I could run a marathon without training at all (and feel the best I've ever felt at the finish) I was swimming and biking more than running. I figure I can do that again here. Plus, maybe I could be ready for a few spring sprint triathlons! I'm going to be physically FIT!!

Famous Idaho Potato Marathon, here I come!

No comments: