Thursday, March 09, 2006

The McClelland Street Swimmers

A few weeks ago my hometeacher, Pete, called when I was headed up to the pool for Masters. I told him how I'm on this swim team for adults and he thought that was really cool. He said he wanted to swim too.

If you know me at all, you know how I get excited when people show interest in doing the things I do. Especially if while doing them they call me coach. Well, Pete now calls me "coach," and I now call him "team." It's a beautiful thing. We're trying to rope some other McClelland Streeters into joining the team -- aka my roommates. If Rui joins we can be an international team. It's really quite exciting.

Last night we had our first swim practice. He came to the pool after my Masters swim practice was over. I sat there in the water watching him swim, trying to give him pointers. He knows the basics, we just need to fine tune his skills. We'll be doing drills in the future.

Just so you know my Masters swim practice was a kick in the butt yesterday. We practiced the fly, back, and breast strokes -- and did sets of IM's. For all you non-swimmers, an IM is all four strokes: fly, back, breast, free. It's tough. But hey, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, or it at least puts hair on your chest.

No comments: