Sunday, June 12, 2005

Muddiest day of my life!

So I accomplished one of my life's goals yesterday. This race was three years coming. It was probably the funnest 10K I've ever done! Okay, so it might have been the only 10K I've ever actually done. But it was definately the muddiest race, no matter what distance!

It was more challenging than I expeced. Nobody told me about all the hills. They were long hills too. You'd think you had made it to the top, but then you would look around the corner and the hill keeps going. Good thing I was coming from altitude and I could turbo up the hills and pass all the people. That made me feel better about myself.

The obstacles and the mud were the funnest parts. We're talking river crossings, tunnel crawls, hay barrells, tires, 5-foot mud walls, and to top it all off a huge fat mud crawl! Most of the river crossings were quite small. Maybe only a foot deep. The last river crossing, however, was in a deep, faster moving river. There were ropes set up across the river to keep all the racers from drifting down stream. It was so deep it went up to about my shoulders. The bottom was very slippery mud. Some people didn't hold on to the ropes, they just practically swam instead. It was quite exciting.

I think this will be a yearly event for me. Next year I'm planning on doing it as a team.

6.2 miles, 67 minutes, The Camp Pendleton Mud Run

No comments: