Sunday, October 26, 2008

saturday's long run

I decided to kick my butt into gear. since I totally flaked out on training for the valley of fire marathon in november, I wanted to really set my sights on something else. and actually train.

I found the sedona marathon a couple months ago. it's in february. last year's race day landed on my birthday. too bad I didn't know about it then. oh well. but I figure I have plenty of time to train for it. I'm not going for a BQ or anything, the course seems too challenging for it anyway. so I'm just going to run it for the fun of running + another state. love it.

so with that in my mind I ran my first long run on saturday. I wasn't even planning on it. but sometime in the mid-morning I just decided to. I put on my gear and went out the door. I didn't have a plan for the route, or the mileage. I just stuck a gu in my back pocket and decided I'd take it if I needed it.

I ended up doing a park to park route. I headed over to some familiar ground: 17th south/liberty park. I ran around the perimeter and took the gu just as I was passing the drinking fountain again to leave the park. that was around 4 of 5 miles. then I ran up and over to sugarhouse park. and ran around the perimeter of that park. then home.

after the run I looked up my route on map my run. I figured it was around 8 miles. actually, it was 10. I don't know if I really needed a ten mile run to start off my training. I probably over did it. I hope my ankle doesn't blow up because of it. but oh well. it was so nice to be out there for an extended period of time. it was such a beautiful day.

my ankle has been feelin' it a bit, but not too bad. we'll go forward from here and see how things hold up.

3 comments:

Dansie Family said...

good luck in sedona and with your training. i need to get motivated soon back into running.

Travelin'Oma said...

Fifty nifty marathons. What an unbelievable goal! You'll do it, I'm sure.

Jen said...

Good for you! I wish that I could do an extended run! I miss it. We were in your neck of the woods on Friday. Wish I could have planned it better and I would have written you for a get together run. Someday. Well, great job. I love this 50 states thing. You're cool.