Friday, April 18, 2008

nineteen

I ran my long run today because my friend, scotty, is running the salt lake city marathon tomorrow and we need to be his cheering section. {he's trained for this thing solely on a treadmill. I can't even imagine.} I mean, the race route goes right by my house, so why not?

so today's run didn't really feel that great. which is okay. I felt pretty sick when I went to bed last night. like I was going to puke or something, and was scared I'd actually be sick and running wouldn't seem so appealing. I felt relatively fine this morning, though. so that's good.

I felt tight in the early miles. I loosened up midway through. by mile 10 or so I started getting tight again. if you look at the elevation profile I was running uphill for a few miles. it felt like I was just crawling up that last push. but it probably wasn't really that slow. maybe just kinda slow.

the way down that hill (that very little steep section--it was only about a block, really) kinda pounded my legs.

my left foot really started to hurt. hopefully that is a pain that does not linger with me for any amount of time.

I had salty face. it started getting in my eyes near the end. I usually wear my visor, which helps soak the sweat up. but I did wear shorts and I had no problem with the chub rub. thank you, bodyglide! though the past couple runs the bodyglide on my feet doesn't feel like it's been working like it used to. no actual blisters yet, but I feel hot spots forming. no beuno.

I am glad the long run is done and out of the way. I can enjoy the rest of the weekend! yesterday it was one month exactly to the big day. next week is my longest run. then I'll taper and hopefully be ready for the journey ahead. hopefully I'm physically and mentally ready for the challenge at hand.

19 miles; 6th east/south temple/11th east/21st south/wasatch dr

5 comments:

Zach said...

Hey there, great run! I don't even want to think about hills like that... yet. I've got St George in October that will have hills like that, but I'm saving that training for the summer. :) Ogden is much more gentle.

As far as the blisters (or pending blisters) goes, what worked well for me was putting a wrap of coban (that stretchy stuff that holds your cotton ball in place when you give blood) around my foot, under my sock. Works brilliantly. You can get it at Target, but it's kind of expensive. The same stuff is sold at IFA (if you can stand it) as "Vetrap"... I guess it's meant for animals or something, but it's quite a bit cheaper and the rolls are wider, so you use less of it. Anyway, just an idea.

Great running! I'm volunteering at the marathon tomorrow, should be a blast!

Jen said...

I guess you're running Ogden? I ran it last year as my first and am doing it again this year. You will love it! Do some serious downhill training as it is a killer on the quads! Good luck!

anna jo said...

jen, I'm actually running a marathon in fargo, north dakota. I'm trying to run a marathon in every state, so utah marathon's are pretty much out of the question right now (at least until I have run in ten different states and I'm in the official club) ;)

good luck to you in ogden, though! I hear it's a good course.

Jen said...

That's awesome! Good luck, I really enjoy reading your blog, would you mind if I added it to my roll? I hope your foot gets feeling better. Being injured so close to your goal stinks! But it sounds like you know how to take care of it, so I'm sure it will heal in time!

anna jo said...

jen, of course you can add me to your blogroll! *feeling honored*

and I'm pretty impressed that you just did salt lake and you're gearing up to do ogden a month later! you're hardcore! it sounds like you're going to rock it! can't wait to hear all about it. :)