I almost didn't go running this morning. I woke up just wanting to eat. so I had a bowl of corn flakes and then about a half an hour later had this strong urge to get out the door and hit the streets. my stomach was feeling okay; I could probably handle it.
I'm happy to say I got out of the liberty park routine. I ran on an old, familiar running route of mine: 800 east. it definitely felt good to be out there. the air was still cool, going north was a slight incline (you really can't avoid hills in salt lake city, utah) but not too bad. after the turn-around (4th south) I even had that this-is-why-I-love-running feeling. it was great. I really do love running. when I was almost home the legs started to feel a little tight. but they felt tight when I woke up this morning too. so I stretched and iced when I got back to the casa. btw, I discovered cooking while stretching. now I can kill two birds with one stone and eat sooner post run. perfect.
I did realize that the reason why my hamstring was hurting yesterday after my run was due to the strength training I did. [thanks, brook. this post helped me put two and two together] lunges. squats. dead lifts. my hamstring is not ready for that. see, that's the thing. one thing I have to really focus on this time is patience. there is a method {and a madness} to this marathon training business. it's called periodization. you don't go all out at once. there are different phases and intensities you must go through. I have to constantly remind myself that I don't need to go too far or too fast right now. I am laying a foundation. I am building a strong, solid base. strength training will come later. speedwork will come later. higher mileage will come later. I have from now until late december to just run. and I am happy with that.
~4 miles; 8th east
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment