my long runs are getting longer. I'm definitely into higher mileage now. but I'm facing my fears head on and running right through them.
yesterday was a tough run. I had some long uphill miles to get through. I'm just glad I can still get away with starting the run at 9 am. soon it will be that if I don't finish my run by 9 am I will be in serious trouble. I love spring. I love running in long sleeves and shorts.
my body held up well. only the usual random aches and pains that don't stay with you through the whole run. that's a good sign. I was hydrated this week. I ran hard. it felt good. sure, I was tight by the end (or by the middle?) but not too terribly tight. I feel pretty good today.
this is serious marathon training now. no messin' around!
tips: [for all those just dying to break into the long run scene]
drive your route in a car, mapping out the mileage and dropping water (and gatorade, if needs be) about every two miles. but when you're done running, don't forget to drive back and pick up the water bottles! [or just have your cutest husband secretly follow behind you on his road bike. peter, I loved the cheering and the high-five as you passed by. best long run surprise ever!]
play the mental game. running is seriously 90% mental and 10% training. you cannot listen to the negative thoughts in your head. replace them with positive ones. lie to yourself if you have to. because your body is amazing and you'll be surprised as to how much she can really do. you really can do anything you put your mind to. here are some things I had to tell myself yesterday:
"you've done this route before, you know this. . . just remember how to do it. . ."
"be proud, jo, this is the hardest part. you are amazing"
"just keep running until X. . . good job, now just keep running to X. . ."
surrender yourself to the run. this is an old lesson, tried and true. you have to be able to come to a point where you are just out there, running, putting one foot in front of the other. you're out there for a long time; don't think, just be. this is where a good diversion is handy. someone to talk to, music blaring on the ipod, learning to be okay with your thoughts. running in a beautiful locale doesn't hurt either. just know you'll be out there for a while and don't think about it. the miles will go by easier. trust me.
dress the part. I love buying running clothes. I can justify any purchase if I can tell myself it would be great for running. if you look like a runner you'll feel like a runner. if you feel like a runner you will be a runner. pace times don't matter if you look hot. and not to mention the fact that technical clothing (the correct shoes for your foot type, non-cotton/technical fabric clothing, etc) will also reduce injuries and the like.
run safe. run strong. run happy.
14 miles; 17th south to 9th east to 8th south/sunnyside to wasatch and back
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
anna. this is beautiful. i am printing it out and reading it again and again. you are a rockstar and my idol.
I love how this is so applicable to life! I'm never going to run a marathon, but so often I tell myself, "You've been here before...you can do it...just put one foot in front of another..." I love the running image in my mind as I gear up for daily runs, and bigger marathons.
You make me want to run another one. My brother is trying to talk me into St. George this year, and your post almost has me there...
Post a Comment